Thursday, 28 April 2011

Part II : The Memories

Another post about my dad. This time it's about the memories I have about or with him.

I remember, when I was around 5 or 6, that I didn't really get a lot of time to see him around the house. He's always gone in the morning before I woke up and got home after I went to bed. I remember that he spent more time in the house on the weekends. But not always.
And my mom never let me stay up late to wait for him. But I remember this one time, when I was in bed - not asleep yet - and I heard his car coming in to the garage. I was so happy because that means I'll get to see him before going to bed. So I jumped out of my bed and ran outside of my room. Mom, who was in the living room, asked where I was going. Told her I wanted to greet dad. She said,
" No. You go back to sleep. It's pass your bedtime. "
I remember feeling like I wanted to cry my heart out. But, even at that time, I know that arguing with my mother isn't going to get me anywhere. So, I went back to my room and back in to my bed. Still feeling like crying. I heard my dad's voice asking my mom if I'm asleep. Mom said,
" Well, she should. But I guess she heard your car coming in, so she just ran out here to see you. Told her to go back in ... "
I heard dad said,
" Why did you do that? "
And I remember hearing his footsteps, he was still in his uniform, and then I heard my room's door being opened.
" Hey, are you asleep? ", he said.
I quickly kicked my blanket away and said,
" NO, DAD! NOT YET! "
I remember him picking me up from my bed and said,
" Good. Because I have a surprise for you. "
He sat me on his shoulders. Both of my legs, wrapped around his neck.
" What is it, Dad? ", I asked.
" You'll see ... "
We walked out of my room and my mom said,
" Oh great. Now it'll take more time to put her back to sleep. "
And he replied,
" Oh relax. It's not like she's going to stay up all night. "
Then we went to the dining room. And on the dining table, I saw a box of ice-cream.
" That's your surprise ", he said.
And I remembered screaming my happiness out.

I never did good in school. I did okay. But never good. No, wait. I was good in Junior high. But in Elementary and High school, I'm lucky I can pass those two.
I suck at math. I despise the person who invented that subject. With all my heart.
I remember - when I was in 5th or 6th grade - getting a 5 in my report card for that subject. 10 being the highest. I remember my mom being so angry. And I remember feeling so afraid that my dad will do the same.
He got home later that night, told me to wait for him because he wanted to see my report card. I was ready to cry. But, when he saw it, all he said was,
" Do you think you deserve this grade? "
" Yeah .. kind of. "
" Why? "
" Because I didn't really work hard at the subject .. "
" Why? "
" Because I hate it! "
" But you can do better than this, right? Just a little bit better? Even though you hate it so much ..."
" I guess I can do that ... "
" Will you do that for me? Try a little bit harder? You don't have to give me a perfect 10. A 7 would do .. "
I nodded. And I did get a 7 after that. I even made it to the big 10 in my class when I was in Junior high.

Second year in Junior high, me, dad and mom went to Jerusalem. We were on this tour with a bunch of other awesome people. First time I ever went abroad. Dad said he always wanted to go there and it's also a gift for me because I was doing very well in school. And I remember him being so proud of me because I managed to become the "spokesperson" for the three of us. My parents doesn't speak English, at all. Which is a problem if you're traveling abroad.
I remember him being so proud of me that he can't stop telling people about that.
" She answered all the questions for us and translated everything! And people thought she's just a little girl that knows nothing. "

I remember when I used to sneak up and use his cellphone to call one of those lines. No, not THAT kind of lines. Those party-lines kind of thing. And I just gave them a lot of prank calls. Back then the rates were freaking expensive because it's an international call. I remember him freaking out when he got the bill. Asked me if used it to make international calls. I said no. Of course. I kept doing that for 3 months until he finally realise that he can lock his cellphone using a password.
HAHA.

I can count the memories I have with and about my dad. It's really not that many. I grew up spending very little with him because he was really busy with work.
But he always trusted me. He never questions any of my decisions. One thing he always said to me though that I should always be responsible over my own actions. And that I should never, EVER, bother other people with my problems. Especially if I know that I can solve them by myself. And to always, ALWAYS, hold on to what I believe. Even if it turns out wrong, at least I can learn something from that mistake. Instead of being right just because people are telling me to do things that I don't really want to do.

Funny fact, I don't even have pictures with him. Well, I do. But not as much as I'd like to have. He doesn't really like cameras that much. Rarely smiles in pictures. Except candid ones.


This photo was taken when we were in Bethlehem. Christmast Eve '97.

That's what I have with him. Memories like that. Memories of the things he's teaching me without having to say the words. Knowing that I'll learn from his actions.
And that, Dad, will be one of the many things I'm going to miss from you.

-- end of part II --

No comments: